Thursday, March 02, 2006

Official - Working in a coffee bar is social work


Being a qualified social worker whose dream is to run a coffee bar, I am frequently asked whether I plan to go back into social work at some point in the future.

My stock answer for the last couple of years has been a protest that actually, the coffee bar in my head will be more like traditional social work than my last job where my title was 'Social Worker'.

I often get slightly puzzled or sceptical looks by way of reply.

So I was quite pleased when I came across this article in the paper a few weeks ago. According to two American sociologists, the well documented fragmentation of society over the past few decades has led to a culture where we place far more value on individualism and non-dependence on others than we do on connecting with those around us.

This has left many of us dependent on 'hits of intimacy' with strangers as a substitute for the more meaningful sense of belonging that comes from being part of a wider family or community.

And one of the prime examples offered is that of a smile or kind word from the person who serves you coffee every day.

So it's official - working in a coffee bar is social work. Now I just have to convince the General Social Care Council so I can re-register next year.

1 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me - but if I remember correcctly - I done all the work at Social Services and you took the credit! Sharon x

Wed Aug 16, 03:07:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home