Monday, March 06, 2006

Crash and the human heart


WARNING - MAY SPOIL THE FILM IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT

Congratulations to Crash for winning Best Film at the Oscars last night. I'm no film buff but I know that I enjoyed it a lot.

One of the things I liked about it was that it caught me out.

All the way through the film I found myself strongly identifying with Hanson (the good young cop played by Ryan Phillippe) whilst intensely disliking Ryan (Matt Dillon). And if you've seen it you'll know there was much to dislike about him. Yet towards the end we see that the very same person is also capable of a noble and courageous act.

My smug satisfaction at feeling superior to him was blown away in a moment, and I could not deny that I too am capable of both. I have in me things that are beautiful and honourable and right, and things that are to my shame.

Thanks to the makers for reminding me that the human heart is not black and white.

2 Comments:


Blogger John Maiden said...

Hi Paul,

I saw Crash a few weeks ago. I was shocked by the dark view of humanity it painted. So much pain, so much despair - no hope.

Was it saying the human heart is almost always black?

Thu Mar 09, 11:00:00 pm  

Blogger Paul said...

No I don't think it necessarily was.

It's a while since I saw it, but one of the main points I thought it was making was that we live in fear of each other.

I think you're right that it was painting a picture of life that was filled with pain and despair - for many, that's how it is. But I don't think it was saying that the human heart is almost always black. Hanson's heart, for example, was clearly not black.

Hanson, who is portrayed as the 'hero', the one with characteristics that we admire, ends up needlessly killing someone. Not because he is bad, or full or anger or hatred or lust or greed etc, but because poor communication causes him to misread the guy's intentions and fear for his life.

For me, the film depicted this cycle of fear and mistrust, as well as showing that we are all capable of good and evil. But perhaps you're right, maybe it didn't offer any hope other than saying that we are capable of good.

Talking about it makes me want to see it again.

Fri Mar 10, 10:39:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home