Wednesday, March 08, 2006

They well and truly got me

And the worst part was that I didn't even know it.

The new England away kit went on sale last week. Like many football fans, I decided that it would be a good buy with the World Cup fast approaching - as we all know, wearing last year's kit just doesn't cut it.

Despite being pretty similar to the one it's replacing, the latest kit is not a bad design. New this season is the option to have someone's squad number on the front as well as the back. To accommodate this, the manufacturer's logo has been moved up onto the shoulder.

I wasn't planning on getting one with a name and number, but looking at it I thought "the logo up there on the shoulder would look stupid without a number underneath, maybe I'll get a number 4 shirt" (I love Steven Gerrard!).

And without even realising, I had played straight into their hands - they had got the add-on sale out of me, and I didn't even realise until my friend Andy pointed it out to me on the weekend.

The sad thing is, I'll probably still do it.

1 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite the fact that any comment I contribute to a thread on Paul's blog is usually the 'kiss of death' to that topic...

I saw the new kit in the local pikey sports mega-shop down the road, and really thought the it was a rip off. Even at the 'bargin' price of £28. As Pablo said, it looks virtually identical to the last one (which I already have) only worse because the umbro logo has been pushed up so that it is almost across the shoulder.

I did notice however, that umbro have introduced a 'sell-by date' type thing to the shirt. There is a little circle on the back that says something like "Kick-off 2006, Full-time 2008". It is built into the styling, but it is basically saying that the kit will only be used till 2008. Which I guess is what we've got used to anyway...

Incidently, I thought a much better idea was to buy the home England kit that only came out last year and was being sold in the sports shop for £11.99!!!

Wed Mar 08, 03:30:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home